Annual giving clubs

CC LittleDr. Clarence Cook Little founded The Jackson Laboratory in 1929 to search for a cure for cancer, and raise awareness of the disease and the need for research.  As a child, he bred pigeons and then mice—a pursuit that led to an academic study of genetics.  He created and led the Laboratory, but was also known as a teacher, researcher, fundraiser and collaborator.

Earl and Margaret GreenDr. Earl Green first joined The Jackson Laboratory as a predoctoral student in 1938 and 1939.  He returned in 1956, with his wife, Margaret, to succeed Clarence Cook Little as the Laboratory's director, a position he held until his retirement in 1975.  He had a particular interest in education, and his computer science program foreshadowed today's emphasis on bioinformatics.  Dr. Margaret Green joined the research staff and collected mouse genetic data, the foundation of the current Mouse Genome Database, an internationally recognized database for the laboratory mouse.

George SnellDr. George Snell was always passionate about mathematics and science, particularly genetics.  He joined the staff of The Jackson Laboratory in 1935, retiring in 1973.  He was the founder and first editor of the scientific journal, Immunogenetics, and was widely regarded as the "father" of that field of study.  For his discoveries that were a prerequisite to successful tissue and organ transplantation, he shared the 1980 Nobel Prize in Physiology or Medicine.

Tibby RussellDr. Elizabeth "Tibby" Russell was an outstanding geneticist and researcher, who began her career at The Jackson Laboratory in 1937.  After the Laboratory was destroyed by fire in 1947, she coordinated the critical retrieval of Jackson Laboratory mice from researchers around the world.  She and her colleagues performed successful marrow transplantations that preceded the development of similar protocols for humans.

Elizabeth FeketeDr. Elizabeth Fekete came to work at The Jackson Laboratory in 1929 as a research associate for Dr. Clarence Cook Little.  She was known for her extensive knowledge of the structure and pathology of the laboratory mouse, and was the first to successfully use a reproductive procedure that helped pave the way for further study of heredity, environment and cancer.  Upon her retirement, Dr. Little honored her for the "strong and enduring scientific reputation" she had in her work.

 

The Jackson Laboratory main site
Subscribe to e-news